Platinum wedding rings became highly popular in the late 20th century due to the metal's ability to withstand everyday wear whilst still looking stylish and contemporary. Platinum became a favorite setting for diamonds and other gemstones, which look particularly beautiful and sparkly offset against platinum, a so-called white metal. As platinum engagement rings became en vogue, platinum wedding rings soon followed and have become a popular alternative to gold wedding rings.
About Platinum Wedding Rings
- Platinum is a great choice of ring metal for a wedding ring because wedding rings are mostly worn every day, which means they get fairly well battered by the rigors of everyday life. Platinum is hardwearing and durable and one of the best ring metals to choose if you want a ring that looks good for a long time with minimal care.
- Platinum can be considered as an investment ring metal as it is so long-lasting (and relatively expensive).
- Chunky platinum rings look particularly good on masculine fingers.
- Platinum wedding rings are great 'his' and 'her' rings as they suit almost any skin tone and are complementary to most outfits and other jewellery (even gold).
Taking Care of Platinum
- If and when you take your platinum wedding ring off, store it in a safe place - sounds obvious, but this is a ring you don't want to lose. Putting it on the windowsill should never be an option - no matter how long the washing up lasts!
- Get your ring insured, so if the worse happens you can purchase a replacement.
- Clean your ring from time to time, either use the services of a professional jeweler, an ammonia/water solution or commercial jewelry cleaner (check the instructions before applying it to your ring).
- Platinum wedding rings can be resized but it's advisable to check whether the jeweler has the right equipment for working with platinum first.
- Although platinum is a 'tough' metal, as with all rings, it's advisable to take your platinum wedding rings off before doing heavy work or using harsh chemicals.
Other Wedding Ring Metals
Find out more about: